My heart has been challenged lately. I attended a women's (mommies) conference this month with a sweet friend. It was so wonderful and helpful to me. God has been revealing to me just how BIG my responsibility as a mother is. I have come to realize that when our children disobey, they are not disobeying us...they are disobeying God. I think as mothers we take it personally when our kids disobey. We may feel frustrated, or embarrassed. I am the mom of a very energetic little girl. At times her little attitude and ways are enough to bring me to tears. Tears because I feel so incapable of the task before me. I had one of those moments just a couple of weeks ago. I literately felt I was at my lowest point as a mom. A moment of "I am failing, I cannot do this." I realized I have not been doing what I should as a parent. My spunky 3 year old is our only living child...therefore she is totally spoiled rotten. I know this.
In the recent weeks I have been more mindful of making sure to spend more time with her. I stay home with her everyday but it is easy to get caught up in what needs to be done around the house.
I have taken a "fight to the death" stance on discipline and training with her. When she disobeys me she is disobeying God. I can't let her do that. She doesn't understand these things so I am responsible to fight for her. Satan wants our babies. That may sound dramatic but it is so very true. He CAN NOT have my child. I will fight for her.
We say quite often around here "don't make Jesus sad, make Jesus happy!" I want her to learn that her actions either please or displease God. Its not about her obeying me and making me look like a great mom in front of others...it is about her learning to please God.
Before I became a mom I did as a lot of people tend to do...look on the parenting of others thinking "If that child were mine I could do that so much better"...well as a mom now I realize it is NOT that simple. Let me challenge you- when you see one of those "worn-out, frustrated-Jesus help me" kind of moms...breathe a prayer for them. Breathe a prayer for me. These are my battle days with my daughter. These are the days I will not forget. The days where we prayed together for Jesus to help her be good. The days where I cried tears of defeat. These are the days to make each. day. count! I'm molding her. With God's help and leadership. I'm spending everyday all day molding her into the person she will become. I want to do it right. She has a never-dying soul. I have to do it right. That thought is so HUGE to me! And scary. I am the one responsible for her. I can't get frustrated and give up. I may get frustrated and fall down, but I have to get back up.
The sweet rewards....I have noticed an improvement! Those of you who knows her are probably thinking.......you have? Oh I have! Little changes...kind of a gradual change. She's learning. She's not perfect...but she's learning. I think as a mom there are 2 things required. #1-Know what to do.....I have a lot to learn but I am learning. And #2-be willing to do it. Its a really hard job. I can't walk away from her at 5pm and rest up for the next day. She's still there.
Raising kids is one thing.....something most anyone can do.
Training children to know right from wrong, to know and love Jesus, to be the little people He wants them to be....that takes a lot of work.
I want to be faithful to her. To teach her and lead her as I should. I want to be faithful to the calling and privilege God has given me. Most of all-I want her to know Jesus.

So proud of you Andrea!!! You can do it. It does pay off...even though the results are sometimes slow. :) I'm in the trenches right along with you.
ReplyDelete